Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) Demonstration in the National Day of Catalonia
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 23:24:50 +0530

The price of malt whisky is doomed to go up for the near future. Thanks to
recessionary conditions in the 1990s for Scotch, most distilleries did not
distill and lay down stocks for maturation to the extent of capacity, and so
there is a severe shortage of stock from that period. This can be seen most
clearly from the profusion of NAS (No Age Statement) releases, which allows
blending young whisky with older stock, and thus stretching out the
available supplies. Added to this, there is a severe shortage, at present,
of good quality barrels for maturing, exacerbating the problem further. It
will take at least 5 years to get over this hump, and you can be sure that
prices will stay up. The hardest hit distilleries are supposedly Macallan
and Ardbeg. A bottle of 18yo Macallan Sherry Wood which cost GBP 60-70 a few
years ago costs GBP 200+ today. Either we accept a drop in quality of
mainstream offerings, or pay higher prices for the good stuff.
Cheers
Jayanand

Sent from my iPad