Subject: [Leica] Bokeh
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 07:08:49 -0500

On Aug 21, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Doug Herr wrote:

> Ted Grant wrote:
>
>> Alan Magayne-Roshak OFFERED:
>>
>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh
>>
>> Here is my candidate for an example of pleasing bokeh. It's my 85mm f/2
>> Nikkor LTM at /2.8:
>>
>> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Enigmatic/Fowl_AMR.jpg
>> .html><<<<<<<
>>
>> Hi Alan,
>> Interesting you point this out. Thank you.
>> As the background to me as I first looked at the photo was meaningless! My
>> eyes, well the one good one went right to the birds without any re-action
>> the back ground.
>
> That's the entire point of pleasing bokeh.  The background doesn't
> distract from the subject.  With ugly bokeh the background competes for
> attention with the subject.

If we consider photography a form of "visual art"
Then, obviously, how the photograph "looks"
matters.

The photographer, theoretically, controls that "look"
by controlling many variables
including choice of lens
based on the visual qualities of the given lens.

Content is important - of course.
Visual qualities are also important.
Some may consider content the MOST important.
Some may consider the visual qualities MOST important.

I'd go with finding the magic balance of both content and visual qualities
to cause the viewer to appreciate, and learn from the art object.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog