Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Bokeh
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:34:27 -0500

Tina, I'm gonna make a few comments, based on my years of observation,
not necessarily on my skills.

First, successful bokeh is as much a result of vision and framing as it
is of lens selection and aperture.  The image of Tom with his coffee has
great bokeh in the background behind his head, so it could be cropped to
make a fine informal portrait.  The out of focus building in the left
part of the image is just that, out of focus clutter, and, in my opinion
has nothing to contribute to "bokeh".

The "feeding the chickens" image suffers from too much OOF clutter,
which, in my opinion, is not an example of bokeh.

To demonstrate the bokeh ability of the 35/2.0 Summicron, I would choose
uncluttered backgrounds and close-to-mid-range subject distance.  A crop
of Tom's coffee image would give you exactly that.

I'll expect to hear from others...................... :-)

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA