Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 15/8/2014: Greg in Chicago
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:24:45 -0500

Nathan (and LUG folks) -

Very cool shot of Dan Tamarkin and some of his offerings.  One of the cool
things about that facility is that he's devoted about 70% of the publicly
accessible footprint to the gallery and 30% to the gear.  In fact, there's
tons more Leica stuff not on display.  A couple of times when I've been over
there a particular camera model gets mentioned (M2 & IIIg in these cases) -
he then disappears and returns seconds later with a Big Box of M2's or
IIIg's!

The shot of Greg is also remarkable in that it shows one of his
characteristic Greg moments.  He has a real commitment to precision
language, and invariably pulls up exactly the word or phrase he's looking
for; this really catches him in the process

Regarding the stuff you saw of mine I think Dan did an excellent job of
curation and display.  In fact, as obvious as this may be to many of you, I
discovered that them there silver-based B&W prints, all in a line
surrounding the viewer with very tweaked out lights shining on them, really
look quite good. I recommend that those so inclined get in touch with Dan
and submit some stuff.

Sorry we didn't get to meet this time around; hope there will be more
opportunities in the future.

Bob Palmieri

Nathan wrote:

One of the pleasures of travelling is to meet fellow members of these lists.
So, during my visit to Chicago this weekend, I had the pleasure of getting
together with Greg Rubenstein on his home turf, having met him in Barcelona
(sort of my home turf) last year. Greg took me on a walkabout to several
great places, the highlight of which was Tamarkin, one of the world?s great
Leica temples:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3467317660&k=wSfCPLZ&lb=1&s=O

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3467318155&k=4cmnKwS&lb=1&s=O

The pictures in the background in the first picture are an exhibition by Bob
Palmieri, another Chicago-based LUGger whom I did not get to meet this time
around, unfortunately, since our schedules were out of synch. But I got got
to see his work which is truly amazing.