Subject: [Leica] Moving Lightroom folders
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:59:29 -0700

There are two ways to do this:

1) let Lightroom do the move.

2) use a system utility to do the move and then point Lightroom at the right
folder hierarchy.

I STRONGLY recommend (2). Using system utilities to move files is the most
conservative way. Many can do a write/verify operation to make sure the
files are identical. And it?s probably faster.

I keep files in a hierarchy so after the move, when Lightroom is complaining
about not being able to find the original file, you can point to the top
folder, say ?here it is? and then everything beneath it will be found. This
also allows you to test out the process by simply renaming the current
top-level file folder to the original name with OLD appended. At that point
Lightroom won?t find the top level file but nothing is actually gone from
your drive. You can then safely test out the process of pointing to the
files on the new drive. Once that is demonstrated to work you can delete
(gulp) the original files.

Of course have a full backup before you do this because who knows what might
happen. Your files could be eaten by a Grue.

Adam