Subject: [Leica] How would you frame this gallery show?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 14:31:26 -0500

Has to be Gatorboard because if it was foamcore they'd put push pins through
it to attach it to the walls.
Has to be more "thinglike".
I think we respond negatively to the sound of the word "gatorboard".
Sounds like the reinforcing material for those air boats in the swamps.
Also Gatorade was pretty bad. I see they still make it!

On 12/23/14 8:22 AM, "Kyle Cassidy" <leicaslacker at gmail.com> wrote:

> So ?

Yesterday I asked a question about mounting prints to gaterboard and
> about 40 people emailed me privately saying ?gaterboard is a crappy way to
> hang your show?

So ? this may require a bit more explanation ? my solution
> doesn?t have to be gaterboard but it does have some requirements.

Here?s the
> whole scoop:

A year ago, I got this idea to do portraits of librarians. I

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/02/11/kyle_cassidy_photogr
> aphs_librarians_at_the_american_library_association.html
> <http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/02/11/kyle_cassidy_photographs_librari
> ans_at_the_american_library_association.html>

It has multiple millions of

http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/781095.html
> <http://kylecassidy.livejournal.com/781095.html>

I began a crowdfunded
> campaign to photograph MORE librarians -- ultimately I photographed and
> interviewed about 350 total.

One of the things that I promised was that after
> doing this there would be a free gallery show that would tour the country
> and
> that libraries could hang for no cost apart from being responsible for
> repacking it and mailing it to the next library after it had been up for a
> month. I?d learned that many libraries are operating on less than a
> shoe-string budget and that there were hundreds, if not thousands of
> libraries
> that wanted to hang the show. So ? these set of prints would basically be
> on
> tour until they were all stolen, lost, or destroyed.

For that reason, I want
> to keep the cost of mailing them as cheap as possible and I want to keep
> the
> hanging options as simple as possible, in this case, museum putty that just
> goes in the box. I had good luck with this method in my show ?Leaving
> Dakota?
> (http://kylecassidy.com/projects/dakota/
> <http://kylecassidy.com/projects/dakota/>) which toured the world in a shoe
> box.

It seems that the easiest, and least expensive way of doing this is to
> make multiple copies of the show, printed on gaterboard, that just get
> mailed
> out; libraries hang them, pack them, and mail them to the next one on the
> list.

The criteria are:

1) The images look nice.
2) They?re cheap for
> libraries to mail.
3) They?re easy to hang.
4) They?re easy to hang in
> non-traditional gallery spaces.

They should also be not expensive to produce
> since I want to make about ten copies of the show (each featuring about 20
> prints) so they can tour simultaneously.

So ? that?s the long story.

If
> you have ideas about how to do it (canvass mounting? indestructible light
> frames?) ?.

Thanks for your advice and
> expertise,

Kyle