Subject: [Leica] OT: Are mobile apps evil?
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 18:30:54 -0800

If you?re having trouble with dictation, you might download a free
application called ?Dragon?. It has slightly better voice recognition.
However, I have found that for memos to myself, that?s fine, but for
anything going out, such as email which you want to be correct, that the
time spent fixing errors makes the process take longer than instead using an
optional keyboard called ?Swype?, which first came available with the latest
operating system on iPad/iPhone. With this application, you drag a finger
from one letter to the next. It continually consults a dictionary for the
most likely word despite an error or two. The longer the word, the sloppier
you can be toward the end of the word, because after the first four letters,
there just aren?t that many possibilities. And it always put up just above
the keyboard three alternatives from which you can pick with a touch.

After using it  on iPhone and learning various tricks, I suggested my wife
try it on her iPad Mini. I was dubious as to whether it would be of much
improvement over the standard keyboard because of the large keys and larger
distance to slide, but in a couple of weeks she became an addict.

Give it a try. Skype is also free.

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org