Subject: [Leica] Leica or Not? -- A professional Photographer's Guide to Choosing the Right Camera
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 01:18:22 -0800

I have an OM-D E-M5, which is sorta like an early GX-7.  I have an M8,
which is sorta like an early M9.  I use them both, and like them both
very much, for different reasons.  And I think a good micro 4/3 camera
and a digital Leica are natural complements to each other. But since you
asked:

- I wish the E-M5 would focus on what I think it should focus on, rather
than the thing it decides to focus on. The M8 does that very nicely.
- I with the E-M5 would take a picture when I press the shutter, not a
decisive moment and a half later. The M8 does that very nicely.
- I wish the M8's shutter was quieter and that it had better high ISO.
The E-M5 does those things very nicely.
- I don't care much that the M8 doesn't have some of the features of the
E-M5, because that's why I have the E-M5.
- I don't much care that the E-M5 doesn't have the rangefinderness of
the M8, because that's why I have the M8.
- I sometimes wish that the wonderfulness of each camera could be
combined in a grand and glorious synthesis. But as my wife wisely says,
"There is no such thing as a perfect camera."
- I wish the M 240 and the MM cost less so I could afford them.
- I wish Leicas cost less so that people who love to stir up class envy
would not have an excuse to hate Leicas and troll the Internet hating on
people who like to shoot with them.
- I also wish for world peace, significantly less income inequality and
a cure for the common cold.

--Peter

Quoth the Kyle Cassidy,
 > A very interesting point-by-point comparison on choosing between a
Leica and