Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lesser Goldfinch
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 20:01:49 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Going on the theory that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, I've
been spending more time watching the bird feeders in my yard.  One species
I'd had limited success with is the Lesser Goldfinch, a fairly common bird
in my area.  Goldfinches like thistle seed and favor hanging feeders so I
found my old plastic tube feeder, filled it with thistle seed and hung it
near my blind.

I have only a vague idea how old the tube feeder is but in the time I've had
it I've had the good fortune to lose two of the four dowels that serve as
perches.  Being the cheapskate I am I found a couple of twigs to replace the
dowels; this is a good thing because the twigs are long enough that
depending on where the birds stand I can crop the feeder out and the photo
looks like it was made in the wild.

The female Lesser Goldfinch:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/fringillidae/spinus/legold03.html
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/fringillidae/spinus/legold04.html

the male Lesser Goldfinch:

http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/fringillidae/spinus/legold05.html
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/fringillidae/spinus/legold06.html

all photos: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R, tripod & blind.  All comments
welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com