Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Beauty of M9 colors at night (Bangkok portfolio)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:08:56 -0400

It would be problematical for me to have my iso' s 4000, 5000 be
problematical.  I've been shooting just about every night in Manhattan at
6400 which is where my auto iso tops off. Most of my shots are at that top
6400 setting. Its my cruising speed. I think nothing of it. The files it
makes are eminently workable and viewable.
See http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/ below.
I notice that when I am actually around a shop window or street light and
have some light my settings will go down to a smooth silky creamy 3200. Just
a stop And its quite luxurious. But I can live with out it. At that point id
just as soon stop down a stop so I'm not shooting wide open.
My camera is not new. Quite old in digital years its the D700 Nikon which
you can't buy new any more and the D750 is just out this week I'm sure the
sensor is quite improved. I'm guessing shooting with one would give me a
couple more stops of iso which might be nice.
No idea how Nikon modern sensors might compete with a Leica M240 but I have
very little interest how it might compete with an old CCD on an M9. As it
would be an apples vs. oranges blow out.
For my Leica shooting if I continue with it as I still have my glass I'd
certainly be getting the M 240 which has famously better low light
performance than an M9. The M9 being a relatively successful camera with its
one only glaring fault being its low light performance. But the new M 240
has erased that issue and presents itself as a camera which can go up
against any Canon or Nikon and be used by a lot of serious Pros and amateurs
on a level way higher than the M9 was never embraced.
To base my low light based work on that body famous for poor low light
performance seems a bit odd to me. And then put it though some odd jumps in
post processing. Though your work is impressive anyone can see.
 I'd trade in my used Chevy for a new cutting edge CMOS M. I think this
cherishing of the CCD over CMOS look is baloney. I've shot plenty with CCD's
though cropped and deal with the files every day. The so called purity of
color just isn't there.