Subject: [Leica] Teds comments
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:41:25 -1000

I think you are reading too much into my comments. I have no problem with
the pimped out versions. T.hey require little resources. They yield,
presumably, higher margins ( however, given the short runs of a few
hundreds, I doubt the total extra income is really significant to the total
bottom line).   I am not a fan,  true.

The M9p ( I think this was the Seal influenced camera) was an example of
short run, heavy resources used, little flow over to standard edition
cameras. Ditto the M-M3 version we now have offered. It is limited
production, required major effort ( new tooling, new body, new/truncated FW,
etc) but will it yield the average user anything?

Leica M mount users need more feature rich cameras.  In detail, better high
ISO noise, a model that has an EVF, maybe a monochrome CMOS sensor, better
battery use, etc.

Growth and success depend on innovation and response to the needs and
desires of the larger community. When Leica last lost hold if that concept
they almost ceased to exist.

BTW and unrelated, did you note that the newer silver lenses are made from
aluminum, not brass barrels?

Kaufmann's red APO Summicron too.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net