Subject: [Leica] Erwin Blumenfeld in the NYer
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:16:00 -0400

Also HCB Henri Cartier-Bresson who I'm reading now and Alfred Stieglitz also
held up this "amateur"  term as an ideal instead of the opposite.
Also the related term " dilettante" is used as a compliment instead of the
opposite by these guys (wh0 may have never met) and their followers.  It
gets confusing. Part of it may be that these major arbiters of taste, style
and technique were born into so much money that they could piss off anybody
they wanted to and still pay the rent at the end of the month. They just
didn't need your business. They just didn't have to care.!!

On 9/16/14 6:29 PM, "Tina Manley" <tmanley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Phil  I like his quote:

"I was an amateur?I am an amateur?and I
> intend to stay an amateur. To me an
amateur photographer is one who is in love
> with taking pictures, a free
soul who can photograph what he likes and who
> likes what he photographs. By
that definition I am an amateur, so that is the
> definition that I accept."

Tina

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Phil Swango

--
Tina
> Manley
www.tinamanley.com