Subject: [Leica] IMG: PortraitS has an S in it
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 20:41:15 -0400

I think this "crop in your camera and then don't touch it later" baloney was
put out by Magnum photographers who'd like many of us filed out our negative
carries to make for black borders. FFBB full frame black borders. The prints
in a stack without the black borders did not fare so well. So we avoided
cropping like the plague and called it our artistic prerogative and
integrity..  This was tricky with medium format with little room at the
edges but we did it anyway.
When digital came out not so much I don't think.
I think the quality is such now that we can shoot loose crop later.  And the
quality with medium format digital low iso in the studio is  way overkill.
Way as in WAY. I doubt anyone is going to ask for their money back of you
shot a bit loose and cropped. .

On 7/19/14 8:12 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not only the digital way but essential for art directors for any
> publication.
>

> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 20 July 2014 10:07, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Shoot loose! I do think that's the digital way.
>>

>> On 7/19/14 7:56 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mark. Thanks for looking and commenting. Yes, breaking portrait
>>> conventions there using the 70 if you like. Intentionally so and as
>> taught
>>> to me by a leading photographer here. Same as just about every lighting
>>> rule I ever heard of for studio.
>>> Yes on the 120. It is on my list.
>>> Could have got that 180 recently  (from the person from whom I got my S2)
>>> but my priority was the standard lens, then the 120. I heard a rumour
>> that
>>> 180 ended up with another LUG photographer down this way ;-)
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff