Subject: [Leica] 1/4 million views (so what?)
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:46:31 -0700

This morning my flickr stats showed that I'd reached one-quarter million
views of my photos.  Not too bad for a middle-aged guy who lives in an
ordinary American suburb and doesn't attempt to create an Internet cult
of personality.  Now, I don't really put that much credence in "number
of clicks" as an indication of a photo's artistic merits. I basically
just take pictures that interest me. I'm not trying to make myself
famous for more than 15 minutes.

Anyway, just for fun, here's what got the most views:

1. Cute dogs doing cute things
2. Not-very-good snapshots of Hispanic children at an outdoor birthday
party with a pi?ata (these may be a fluke--I think these attracted the
attention of a large extended family, church group or similar)
3. Attractive women, especially outdoors
4. Pictures taken in Israel, especially Jerusalem.
5. Young couples interacting, preferably affectionately
6. Veiled Muslim women
7. The occasional really beautiful scenic, preferably at the golden hour
or sunset. It helps if it's an exotic location or has some really magic
lighting.

I also sorted my pictures by flickr's "interestingness" measure, which
is the number of times people marked a picture as a "favorite," and/or
commented. A similar pattern to the above emerges. But now a group of
black-and-white "decisive moment" people pictures and humorous, quirky
juxtapositions are counted among the most popular. These are among my
favorite subjects.  Of course, I belong to several groups that emphasize
these kinds of pictures, so it's a self-selecting population.

I'm not sure what any of this really tells me, but it's interesting.
Any thoughts?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] 1/4 million views (so what?))
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] 1/4 million views (so what?))