Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] Sad day STORY.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:25:26 -0700

We, Irene, myself and kids were always a cat family during our time in
Ottawa long before we moved to the west coast of Canada.

There was always more than one, actually we had five running about on and
off. Then we had a female not fixed who became pregnant. Oh well "it happens
in the best of families!" :-)

Then all of a sudden over night we had 9 cats/kittens. YIKES! It was a bit
of a challenge until the kittens were weaned and we gave them to friends
"who were just dying to have a kitten running about their homes. Back to 5.

Next major event? We moved to the west coast. Irene drove her car and I
followed behind. Took a couple of weeks as we stopped and visited friends
and family along the way until we arrived in Victoria. Cat's were in
excellent care at their favorite vet with house stay facilities until we
were settled into the new home. Meanwhile 5 cats being treated like King and
Queens. New house is finally ready for cats so we phone vet in Ottawa ....
"Send cats!"

They prepare cats for travel.   We drove across the North American continent
plus one ferry ride to get here, RIGHT! :-) CATS? Well what did you expect?
"AIR TRANSPORTATION ALL THE WAY!" :-) I mean if yer goin' to have cats or
any kind of pets they become as family blood as if they were.

So we had a great time as they were also" out side cats." Well they stayed
around the house grounds and always came in evening time. However, the first
week here they never left us alone as they followed us all over the place,
sometimes it would be all 5. Another one or two.

Bedtime? All 5 slept at the bottom of the bed by our feet for at least the
first week, ten days. Eventually they became at ease with the new home and
over the following years lived happily only leaving us when each in turn
"AGE" took it's toll. With the last one being the toughest of all.

I'm in Boston shooting the book "WOMEN in Medicine." Unfortunately the last
"old fella"  Miller (22 years) has taken quite ill and has to be put down.
Irene and I are on the phone...... me in Boston in the evening with 3 hour
time zone difference tired as all get out and really looking for sleep. Yet
trying to give Irene comfort while she is in Victoria and the vet has come
to our home to look after things.

The vet did her duty and then sat with Irene until the Old Lad was gone.
Then she left taking him with her.

Then we couldn't hang-up because we were both bawling our eyes out and
would've given anything to have been able to have a hug and hold each other
and the old lad just one more time. :-( Fate doesn't deal a hand like that.
:-( Then we kind of got a hold of our emotions and chatted for a bit until
quite early the next morning.

However our "China Cat's" were all we had after. That is until my Grand
Daughter arrived and smiled at me as she said sweetly........" "G'pa do you
think I can get a kitten or cat from the SPCA?"  Me of course wilted before
this beautiful smiling young girl and we now have a big fat cat lounging
about here once again. Yeah and it feels nice! :-)

cheers,
ted