Subject: [Leica] a new computer and stuff! :-)
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 16:43:07 -0700

Hey Ted,

I don?t know if I?ve told you this store before. During a period of
temporary unemployment, many years ago when printers were dot matrix
printers, a friend and I collaborated on a program which would enable a dot
matrix printer to produce justified output, i.e. output with a straight
right-hand margin.

Each of us was doing part of the program and emailing the result to the
other. I think this was before actual email; we just sent the documents to
each other over the phone using 300 baud modems.

Well, our code was written in Pascal. My collaborator insisted in writing
his stuff in all caps, which drove me nuts. Finally I cured him by asking
which case he had the most practice in reading: upper case or lower case.
Then, I said, since you?ve read more lower case than upper case, don?t you
think lower case would be easier for you to read?

Cheers,

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org