Subject: [Leica] IMG: Google Self-Driving Cars
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 00:28:33 -0700

A new exhibit on Google?s self-driving cars has been installed at the
Computer History Museum. This is the third of temporary exhibits in an area
of the Museum they call the gallery. T

The first such exhibit, which lasted several years, was on the subject of
computer chess.

The second, provided by Google, was on Street View, and included both a car
and a tricycle equipped with the Street View camera.

The third, installed about a few weeks ago, was on Google?s self-driving
cars, and included some history on self-driving vehicles, although I think
they played a little loose with language and were really also including
remote-controlled vehicles, because their is a submersible about the size of
a torpedo and a small quadricopter hanging from the ceiling.

In conjunction with this exhibit opening, there were two evening events at
the Museum to introduce the exhibit, one for staff and volunteers and
another with fancier food and drinks for trustees and donors. I fit into
both categories and hence attended both. At the one for donors, etc., the
Futurama exhibit from General Motors at the 1939-1940 Worlds Fair in New
York was mentioned as an instance of the prediction of self-driving cars.
There was a lot of excitement when I mentioned that I HAD BEEN THERE.

In the course of one of these gatherings, there was some brief mention of
Google giving rides in these cars, but I wasn?t paying attention. Then one
Saturday, when I was working at the Museum for an hour in the afternoon, I
discovered a lineup of four such cars in the driveway and inquired about
rides. They claimed the the next day was the last and that if I got there in
the morning, I might get a ride.

I did indeed. They restricted the ride to a stretch of a freeway, and the
driver hand drove the car until he was on the freeway and the computer was
happy. I got to sit in the front seat next to the driver, with a lap-top
computer on my lap. This showed in stylized form what the car?s computer was
seeing.

The program controlling the car was an older version which just knew how to
stay in its lane and not hit the car in front. I guess they were willing to
give public rides in this version which they claim had gone 600,000 miles
without incident. Nevertheless, I had to sign a two-page waiver.

This shot is of the stand where one signed the waiver

This shot shows three of the cars lined up. A fourth car has just departed
with its passengers.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1003694.jpg.html

This is a closer view of a car. That cylinder on the roof is called a Lidar.
It rotates ten times per second, sending out a light beam from a laser. It
is simply an optical radar. Has higher resolution but less range than radar.
There is also a radar behind the grill. Behind the right-hand sun visor are
two cameras. When the car is programmed for street driving, they can
identify all sorts of things, such as bikes, pedestrians, traffic lights and
their color, stop signs, etc.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1003698.jpg.html

These people are being photographed before embarking on their ride.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1003701.jpg.html

There was general laughter when I shot this guy as he was shooting me.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/L1003702.jpg.html

After the ride, I had to fill out a survey form, and was given this sticker
to put on my shirt. It aroused much interest later that day in two
restaurants.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/P1010548.jpg.html

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org