Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 5/5/2014: colour and infrared
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 10:54:30 +0200

One of the things I like about IR is that it transforms ordinary scenes into
something weird and interesting. Yesterday, I went on my leisurely bike ride
along the beach with the M8 and a Heliopan 715 filter. With the very sharp
noontime sunshine, it is perfectly feasible to handhold the camera even with
a relatively strong IR filter: most of the time I was shooting at f5.6,
1/125 at ISO 640 (the exif incorrectly shows the f stop as f32 since it is
merely an estimate based on the amount of light reaching the sensor).

Here is an ordinary beach scene in colour:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3226012125&k=LfNFJHZ&lb=1&s=O

Here is the same scene in IR:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3226012211&k=nmJB2d7&lb=1&s=O

Of course, compared to the old days of High Speed Infrared from Kodak, this
effect is relatively mild. Still, I am happy that the M8 can yield these
results without any conversions or other trickery (and minimal processing in
LR).

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman