Subject: [Leica] lens coding
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 21:44:06 +0000

If this is the first time you have used those lenses on digital then they
may need recalibrated, if they do then that is the time to code IMO.

Coded lenses make a difference in DNG as well as JPEG

Have to take Leica's word that it is lossless, the S2 was the first to offer
that so most likely true ;-)

john
on behalf of Fred Bastiat [myrmidons at me.com]

Greetings,

Just received the M 240. All of my lenses are uncoded, mostly 70's and 80's
vintage. It's not clear to me if having coded lenses helps me if I'm always
shooting DNGc. Does coding help with anything other than the camera's JPEG
engine?

Also, is there any loss of image data using DNGc vs DNG. The manual states
"no", but is that accurate?

Thanks