Subject: [Leica] Ndutu photos and Anzac day
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 00:43:45 -0500 (EST)

Great memories as Jay and Howard post some wonderful shots. Helen and I are
in
Western Australia: yesterday we stood on the most south westerly point of
Australia. It is Anzac day here in Australia: this was the day our 'troops'
landed at Gallipoli in Turkey and were soundly beaten. Forged a history and
place for the Australian and NZ forces. Here in WA, the ships left for the
middle east on the first of November almost a 100 years ago. The second
fleet on
December 31 2 months later. My grandfather was in that second fleet and
landed
and was injured at Gallipoli. Thankfully for me (genetically speaking) he
made
it home. 20 when he set off, I looked over the harbour and the landscape
which
would have been his last sighting of Australia wondering how much he must
have
aged by the time he came home.The landing was 99 years ago today.

Happy Anzac day and best wishes for all those who serve.

Alastair and Helen