Subject: [Leica] Leica T
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:02:53 -0700

I was generally pleased with Leica's new T series camera. It really is a
thing of beauty. I like the aluminum unibody design. Honestly, more products
should be built like this. Fewer parts, better cooling, much much stronger,
less variation between examples, better looks and just a better feel in the
hand. If you're a MacBook pro user, then you'll know how no other laptop
matches it for fit, finish and feel. It feels more solid than any other
comparable machine.

My disappointments with this new camera are few. The EVF is external rather
than built-in. I was hoping for a swiveling integrated EVF on the top left
corner, like the GX-7. I have several cameras with the clip-on type, not the
least of which is the M, and it can make the camera a little awkward to put
in a slim satchel type bag. Maybe Leica is saving that for the next version
of the M, but who knows.

No image stabilization? In 2014? Really, Leica?

The other question I have is why they had to introduce another mount. Surely
they could have simply updated the M mount to include the electronic
contacts necessary for AF and AE, which would have obviated the need for an
adapter, as long as the camera body was also equipped with the ability to
read the 6-bit lens codes. I'm not sure whether this was done for marketing
or technical reasons, to keep the price of the body down (no 6-bit code
reading), or just to prevent people from attempting to T lenses on M mount
cameras, but I'd like to hear Leica's reasoning on this one.

Overall, a step in the right direction for Leica, and I wish them the best
of luck with it. Now please, give us a hybrid integrated EVF in the next M
camera!!