Subject: [Leica] Leica legends
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:54:38 -0400 (EDT)

        There is an oft repeated Leica legend that the best film Leicas were
the late model M3s, particularly those with serial numbers over 1000000. I
don't know if that's true but my old M3, one of the first, worked flawlessly
for nearly 50 years, shooting a few thousand rolls of film, before I brought
it to Sherri Krauter for a CLA. Nothing was wrong with it. I just figured
the camera needed a little tenderness.
        But I heard another one yesterday. My son, an executive with
Ericsson, travels frequently to Japan. On his last trip I lent him my Leica
CL (actually a Minolta CL, made in 1974). Seated next to him at the
conference was an elderly gentleman who had been in charge of production for
Minolta. He noticed the camera and told my son that the production workers
took particular care in assembling and testing the CL cameras which bore the
Minolta nameplate. They were proud of their Japanese made cameras and didn't
want them to be thought inferior to cameras allegedly made in Germany.
        I can't verify the truth of either of these legends. Can any Lugger
shed some light on these stories?
        Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Leica legends)
Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica legends)