Subject: [Leica] Anyone here tried Platinum printing?
From: pkolodny1 at icloud.com (Pablo Kolodny)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:46:28 -0300

Ken

sorry for the delay, I was looking for your message but couldn't find it on
my iphone. I'm at the computer now where every thing comes easier.
I'm not saying HP is better than Epson, I know most of people making digital
negs are on Epson.
What I've found out after trying Dan Burkholder's and Mark Nelson's
techniques is that my Epson, an old R1800 which it is known for having
smaller jets giving then higher resolution, is not blocking UV enough.
Then, as told in some earlier message, a friend of mine got the HP Z3200, I
made some tests and saw the whole thing was much more straight forward than
with any other technique and/or Epson. Then I also tried and got an older
printer, a HP Z3100 which blocks UV well. But am not using any of HP curves
making either because I had to run back and forth to my friend's and bother
him with my stuff. I'm glad now am working with chart throb to make curves
and my printing works faster and smoother than ever.

HP application on the Z3200 series is a piece of cake, wish I could get one
too.

Other methods require a ton of interpretations, maths, calculations,
calibration is pretty hard. I'm not the kind of guy interested in
technicalities, all I want is to focus on my work, shooting, processing,
printing.

cheers

Pablo

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Anyone here tried Platinum printing?)