Subject: [Leica] any digital point and shoots laying in drawers?
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:11:27 -0500

I just returned from visiting a 55 year old friend who's had a stroke. He's
been in ICU for three weeks. We celebrated his birthday today.

He's able to write with his right hand. His left side is completely
dysfunctional so far. The marks he makes with the pen require interpretation
and questioning to arrive at his communication intentions. Today after some
back and forth I figured out that he asked me if I could get him a DSLR. He
apparently would like to document the many friends and family who visit; as
well as his probably long recovery. The family was quite poor before the
stroke and now faces seemingly insurmountable medical expenses. As I left
the hospital Larry's wife, Maureen, informed me that Larry's car also broke
down today while their daughter was on the way to the hospital.

So I wonder if any of you have access to "obsolete" point and shoot cameras
sitting unused in the drawers of family or friends which could be passed on
to Larry. I'd love to fulfill his request with an entry level DSLR - though
I'd imagine the p&s in his right hand may be easier for now.

Let me know on or off list if anything comes to mind. I'm more than willing
to pay mailing expenses; though not much more.

Thanks for your consideration.

a note off the iPad, George