Subject: [Leica] Whitman on resolution and esthetics
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 12:23:02 -0400

Well, I care, but that?s because I can (like I?ll bet any one of us)
appreciate the quantitative fundamentals as well as the esthetics. Of
Spring, of photography, of the night sky.

Which is not to say that I care about that more. To quote my favorite (as an
amateur astronomer) expression of the same theme, by Walt Whitman:

        When I heard the learn?d astronomer;
        When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
        When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and
measure them;
        When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room,
        How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
        Till rising and gliding out, I wander?d off by myself,
        In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
        Look?d up in perfect silence at the stars.

?howard