Subject: [Leica] Leica R system
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 19:21:24 -0400

I do think a person who didn't do any medium format film shooting a few
years back is not likely to be interested in getting into medium format
digital shooting now even if the ante wasn't up.

By the way
Mamiya 645DF+ Medium Format DSLR Camera Kit with 80mm f/2.8 LS D Lens
$4,495.00

Pentax 645D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
$6,996.95

These are the prices of high end 24x36mm format DSLR's:
A Nikon D3x is $6,999.00 and a  Canon EOS-1D X  is $6,799.00

So it is possible to get into medium format digital without having to trade
in one of our BMW's.

On 4/8/14 6:14 AM, "Doug Herr" <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Frank Filippone wrote:

[Re: Leica S]
>Everyone wants to talk about the
> quality aspects, but the real question is
>if the quality improvement ( if
> there is one) is required in the market....

There's also the flexibility of
> using lens shutters and focal-plane shutters

>I still believe the biggest
> user of the D-MF stuff is well healed
>amateurs...... because the improved
> quality ( if there is one) is not
>required by pros, in general.

Most users
> of any camera system are amateurs, and whether the pro can take advantage
> of
> the image quality depends on the market s/he is in.

>... The D-MF market is
> tiny and Hasselblad owns it.
>I do not see that changing.  Nor do I see Pros
> switching over to it...

Marc Williams ("fotografz") who frequently posts on
> the getdpi.com forum is one.  He looked at the S2 when it was first
> introduced
> & at that time it hadn't ripened into a system so he passed on it? the H
> adapter got him to look again and he bought the body to use his H lenses
> with
> either FP or lens shutter (which he could not do with his H camera), tried
> the
> S lenses & once the lens-shutter versions became available he sold most of
> his
> H lenses, keeping only one.

Doug Herr
Birdman of