Subject: [Leica] Nan Goldin
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 16:32:11 -0600

Normally I'm a fan of the more edgy contemporary photo artists (Eggleston,
Shore, Parr, Dicorsia, etc.) and feel somewhat out of place on the LUG
whenever their work gets panned, but to be honest, I've never been able to
"get" Goldin's work either.  I've even had a print of mine shown with her
work a few years ago in a New Orleans group show, but still no cigar.  I
have some young artist friends here in Albuquerque that I probably need to
chat up to get their thoughts about her.  She received the prestigious
Hasselblad Award in 2007, which puts her in some pretty rare company, so
I'd at least like to make an effort to understand her work better.  My
daughter has a BFA in photography from 2005 so she could probably share
some thoughts from an academic perspective.

Of course, understanding and liking are two different things.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Nan Goldin)