Subject: [Leica] Film recorder services
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:42:38 -0400

Thanks to all who answered. I appreciate the link to the Saloon Keeper's
talk. Even if I were as compulsive as Brian is, the process would still stop
when I can't move a mouse or speak to my computer any more, and I still like
the idea of preservation on an archival analog medium. If there's no
practical way to get digital files printed to silver emulsion any longer, I
like the idea of making the best possible inkjet prints in the largest
format practicable and storing them dark and dry. If the object is to make
another print, not much would be lost in very carefully scanning an 8 x 12
print made with excruciating care, or even taking a photo of a 20 x 30
print, and then printing it, exercising great care and technical expertise
at every step.

Another possibility, along the lines of the film recorder, is to display the
image on the highest-quality monitor possible and photograph that on 35mm
Ektachrome or color negative film using the lens best suited to
high-resolution, distortion-free close-range work. The highest pixel count I
know of is the MacBook Pro 15" laptop with Retina display, which has 1800
pixels along its short side. A full-screen display of a FF image would have
1800 pixels per inch of the camera's sensor. This is well short of the 4000
or so that a film scanner and the M typ 240 give, and in theory short of
what an 8 x 12 print at 300 dpi has, but the greater dynamic range of a
contemporary LCD screen might be a good tradeoff with respect to the print.
And eventually Retina technology will make its way to the Mac's biggest
display, so the count should go up to the equivalent of 2500 dpi or so,
around 10 Mpix for the whole image, making for a very decent rendering to
photograph.

Someone should offer silver-emulsion archiving online. Any venture
capitalists on the LUG?

?howard

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Film recorder services)