Subject: [Leica] Calumet Photo in Bankruptcy Liquidation
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:17:30 -0400

Hardly surprised.  The branch in downtown Philly seemed woefully
understocked for a "serious" camera store.  My guess (though some insiders
may know more definitively) is that they had a crummy Christmas, and
couldn't get further extensions on their line(s) of credit.  We live in a
world where cameras are computers, and like computers sales and technical
service have migrated to the web, at razor-thin margins.

The sub $500 category, which used to be the industry's "bread and butter",
has become an iPhone with $30 worth of lens attachments.  Accessories and
consumables (prints and film) paid for most camera shops pre-digital; the
remaining ones are selling framing services and digital prints (though far
fewer than in the C-41 days) to stay alive. From what I understand, prints
are now available automatically from many cameras/cell phones at the touch
of a button; the prints arrive on your doorstep a few days later, and your
credit card is dunned.  Shades of the yellow Kodak mailer, without the
mailer!

Little wonder that in my community retail is now a combination of bank
branches, nail salons/hair salons, restaurants and exercise clubs/tanning
salons.  Everything else is an Amazon shipment or an app.

Read it 'n weep:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/01/camera-shipments-2013-CIPA

For many, carrying a camera is as silly as wearing a watch, when your
phone does the work of both (and much more).

Jim Shulman
Wynnewood, PA
Who totes a smartphone, 30s style wristwatch, and Leica IIIb.