Subject: [Leica] Leila's April 24th announcement - place your bets!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 13:49:37 -0500

Well if they did really do a direct confrontation on the full frame compact
Sony RX1  they'd be doing a camera which has a build in lens and not
interechangble ones which would be a bit of a gem. Hence less of a market
grabber from the M with interchangeable cash register dings.
The Sony has a fixed Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm F2 which certainly dominates
the camera as it appears a bit too big for it; really ruining its
pocketablility.. But with quality to make it worth it.
Leica would likely not make the mistake of ruining the pocketability with an
oversize lens. It would make a 35 Summicron of a much more compact design.
If they asked me I'd tell them to give the Rollei 35 a nod with a
collapsible 40 Elmar. Also a Barnack basic design element.
If they were super smart they'd make the thing look like a slightly scaled
down Barnack; a slightly scaled down very early Leica body.
But I can see them wanting to one up Zeiss with a Summilux 1.4. They can be
just as compact. And there is a long history of Leitz - Zeiss speed one
upping. I'd tell them to put a 3.5 Elmar on it and make it all about
pocketability as its full frame it could be shot at 64,000 easy so optical;
speed really is not such a big deal. Weight and size is.

A digital Leica Standard (1933) would outclass everything and everybody.
They'd all just have to go home. And sulk.

On 3/7/14 11:33 PM, "Jeffery Smith" <jsmith342 at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Eyes are 0n Leica now to come out with its answer to the Sony RX1 full
> frame
> compact. Not stupidly dumb itself down."
>
> Mark, any idea of which lens they would use for something like this? Leica
> glass is getting insanely pricey, but would they dare using a Japanese-made
> "Leica" lens?
>
> Jeffery
>
> On Friday, March 7, 2014, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> "bringing Leica back to the 4/3." kinda sounds like Leica used to make a
>> 4/3's camera, and now its coming back home.. Not the case. It's made a
>> couple of 4/3's lenes for other companies cameras.
>> Leica now is making compact 1.5 crop cameras. If there is a reason why it
>> should go 4/3's as if its a fad it has a prerogative to join in on I'd
>> like
>> to know what it is. As is its a company whose mission has always been
>> making
>> a quality product and senselessly cutting its compact format in half does
>> not add up.
>> Eyes are 0n Leica now to come out with its answer to the Sony RX1 full
>> frame
>> compact. Not stupidly dumb itself down.
>>

>> On 3/6/14 3:06 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com
>> <javascript:;>>