Subject: [Leica] IMG: A sports pic question for Ted
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 09:17:26 -0800

Nathan Wajsman OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] IMG: A sports pic question for Ted><<<<<

Hi Nathan,
>>Gainesville, FL, some time during the late 1980s. My youngest cousin Dan
>>was the center of his high school basketball team. This was one of my
>>first attempts at sports photography. I focused on the hoop and waited for
>>something interesting.<<<

Yep! That's what it's all about! "I focused on the hoop and waited for
something interesting.<<<

The posted photo is a perfect action shot! WHY? We see the defender's face
and out stretched arms and hands blocking the shot.

Sometimes you'll see a photo person sitting first bench floor level around
the middle of the court and swinging the camera back and forth all over the
place trying to catch action, as they run back and forth! 99.9% it's all
throw away. Oh once in awhile you may get a good one. But hardly worth the
time as dunking the ball is what it's all about!

The part of the game that counts? Putting the ball through the hoop, ERGO?

Go to the end of the court where "YOUR TEAM" will be attempting to score on
their opponents. Do this right off and if it's a high school game try to sit
on the floor about 5 ft. along the sideline from the end. Kind of places you
right inline with the basket. However you maybe living dangerously unless
you  can duck or roll out of the way when several players come crashing into
you. Or shoot them coming on and over you as it maybe your last ever photo.
:-)

By the same token the Officials may ask you to sit on a seat in line with
the basket. Obviously if there are seats available. That's why you are
always "FIRST THERE AND LAST TO LEAVE!" Sit in the very first floor level
row if possible, as it makes your shooting position far more interesting
because it makes the players look like they're jumping higher. And that's
why sitting on the floor helps create more dynamic action photos. In many
situations you'll be shooting vertical format. If you don't? You'll be
chopping heads and arms off!

And when they change ends? You also change to the opposite end staying
"with your team scoring!" WHY? Well heck you don't want a bunch of pictures
of "YOUR" team being beaten! :-(

In the pro leagues it's a whole new ball game with "photo positions and
rules."

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

---