Subject: [Leica] PESO: Garden Garbage
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 14:28:13 -0500

This was a sample garden from the Philadelphia Flower show, held at the PA
Convention Center downtown.  If you can believe it from this particular
shot, the theme this year was the combination of great art and
garden/floral displays. At best, the show was a disappointment--as was the
$28 pre-registration charge.  If you wanted to attend the live butterflies
event, where viewers were surrounded by butterflies flitting about, it was
another three dollars, so I demurred. (I told the ticket-taker that
Butterflies are Free--the reference eluded her.) I attended the show
mainly for people-watching and the chance to surround myself with flowers
during the snowstorms' interregnum.

The past several years' Flower Show themes (and executions) have ranged
from lousy to horrendous--a great shame, considering the storied history
of this show.  The PA Horticultural Society's Executive Director Drew
Becher has achieved the seemingly impossible: he conflated openly gay
leadership of a major cultural institution with poor taste. I wish they
would bring Jane Pepper, who led the PA Horticultural Society for a
quarter-century, back from retirement.

More images to come.

Best,
Jim