Subject: [Leica] Ted Grant: 60 Years... LEICA GALLERY NEW YORK.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 21:26:06 -0800

Hi Crew,

A couple of things :  Printer and invitation to New York GALLERY SHOW! :-).

Today I had the great pleasure of signing the prints for the LEICA GALLERY
New York presentation 24 April 2014. opening.

I have never seen prints made of this caliber any where before!   "My
printer!" :-)

Well OK. c'mon now it was "cool for HCB to have a printer!' ;-) ;-) Laugh
now for heaven sakes I'm joking a bit. :-) HCB had a printer along with a
bunch of those really old guys who no longer can tell you how they did it?
;-) The neat part about me?  I can still tell you how it was during the past
65 years without any bullshit! :-) Nor fancy lying writers! :-)

And because I come along with a line about "my printer?" Some people will
get wet pants because I said it. No what! Pee yourselves silly simply
because only those who attend the New York show will see what this printer
has done. Truly beyond your wildest imagination!

Such an incredible printer that only those who have the good fortune to
visit the New York Gallery will appreciate what I'm saying. In all my years
I've never seen print quality such as he has pulled out of some ancient
negs/slides and or old time prints.

They truly are quite amazing.

In any event copied below is a copy of the invite to the opening you might
like to have a look at. Maybe a bit long. I DIDN'T WRITE IT EITHER! :-) But
it's interesting! :-) Smile!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==

LEICA GALLERY NEW YORK

Ted Grant

Sixty Years of Legendary Photojournalism

Opening reception Thursday, April 24, 2014, 6-8 pm

Duration April 25-June 7, 2014

Opening Hours Tue-Fri 12-6 pm, Sat 12-5 pm

Since Yousuf Karsh died in 2002, Ted Grant is generally recognized as
Canada's greatest living photographer. - Photographer's Forum Magazine

Renowned photojournalist Ted Grant has made a career out of being in the
right place at the right time. Over his sixty years in the business, he has
immortalized some of the greatest events in history and caught some of the
world's most famous and elusive subjects in rare moments of unaffected
humanity. His photographs have been featured in numerous ads and
publications worldwide, and he has been a teacher and mentor to countless
students of photography and medicine through his lectures at Leica
International Seminars, Yale Medical School, and Carleton University.

Although he may be best known for his candid shots of  political leaders and
other dignitaries-including Pierre Trudeau, Ronald Reagan, Jackie Kennedy,
Margaret Thatcher, David Ben-Gurion, and Patrice Lumumba-Grant has never
tied himself down to just one subject. He has covered several Olympic Games,
conducted investigative assignments for the National Film Board of Canada on
topics ranging from Arctic ice fishing to prairie cattle drives, and
silently documented medical professionals in the midst of life-saving
surgeries.

Most people know the work of the man who captured Canada's fifteenth prime
minister sliding down the banister, but few people know Ted Grant's
name-until now. In 2013, the definitive story of Canada's greatest
photographer appeared at last. Thelma Fayle's Ted Grant: Sixty Years of
Legendary Photojournalism presents an even-handed cross-section of Grant's
lifework, but, more than that, provides an iconic and intimate portrait of
the second half of the twentieth century, Canada's coming of age, and the
man who saw it all through the lens of his camera. As varied as these images
are, Ted's respect for all of his subjects, his ability to cut through the
fa?ades of public figures and coax ordinary citizens into the limelight, is
evident in each and every one.

In the 1930s, people called it a lazy eye. Ted Grant had one. The doctor
gave him a patch to wear over his good eye, intending to strengthen the
weaker one. Ted headed back to school, where he was promptly told by his
teacher to "take that thing off." She thought he was being the class clown.

Fast forward a few years, and, if Malcolm Gladwell's theory as suggested in
his book Outliers

is correct, the intensity of Ted's early shooting regimen would be a factor
in his ultimate success as an outlier. Ted completed his initial ten
thousand hours of photography practice before he was twenty-five years
old-not bad considering he only received his first camera when he was
twenty-one. Ted's way of seeing the world with his one good eye was
evolving. - Thelma Fayle

How many prime ministers, kings, or presidents have you ever seen hop on a
railing and slide down-clean, completely balanced, and arms outstretched?
For anyone who remembers the intense, confident, and playful nature of this
former prime minister of Canada, we know the image presents a symbolic
facsimile of the subject's inspired life.

If I hadn't turned around when I heard people starting to laugh, I would
have missed it. I took three shots with a hand-held, manually focused Leica
at ASA 800. Two of the three shots were out of focus. - Ted Grant

Ted Grant has published five books and is the recipient of many awards,
including a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Canadian Association of
Photographers and Illustrators in Communication, an honorary doctorate of
laws degree from the University of Victoria, and both a gold and silver
medal for photographic excellence from the National Film Board of Canada. A
collection of over 300,000 of his photographs is housed at the Ted Grant
Photo Collection in the National Archives of Canada. He lives in Victoria,
British Columbia.

Front cover: Pierre Trudeau, 1968

Back cover: Jackie Kennedy, 1961; Ottawa Mayor Charlotte Whitten, 1958;
Ben-Gurion's Hair, 1961

---
protection is active.

Replies: Reply from jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Gmail) ([Leica] Ted Grant: 60 Years... LEICA GALLERY NEW YORK.)