Subject: [Leica] Question about releases for images of others' property
From: skalte at icloud.com (Susan Ryan)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:59:35 -0700

LUG family, I need advice.

Do I need a written release from owners of property for photos I took from
the public right of way? What about if I was on the property of a business
during posted business hours? (The place was closed even though the signs
said it was open, and no one was around to ask permission.) No humans are in
any images.

I have images of Como, Colorado that I would like to offer for sale. Some
I've posted on the LUG in the past. I plan to talk to the property owners of
the images I have already, offer them photos, explain what my intention is,
etc. before offering anything for sale, regardless of my legal obligations
or lack thereof. I want to establish myself as a good neighbor and be
welcome in the community. The town has a population of 16 so there is no
anonymity, plus I'd love to be trusted enough to be invited into places I
wouldn't have access to otherwise.

Nevertheless, I was just wondering about what legal obligations I need to
consider.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Question about releases for images of others' property)