Subject: [Leica] IMG: LET US GIVE YOU A LIFT
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 21:23:10 -0800

In most of N.America, wood is much cheaper, certainly faster to build and
more flexible. If you need insulation, it's easy to add very inexpensively.

People in places where wood isn't used much are generally concerned with the
fire hazard. The best way to deal with a fire hazard is with a sprinkler
system as you want to wet down the contents, which is what actually burns
and will save lives. Brick or other masonry buildings don't help with that.

The practical lifespan of small buildings is now generally less than 50
years, which wood can easily exceed. Extensive renovations are then general
desired, which wood allows and brick/concrete not so well.

In India, as in most other tropical countries wood does not do as well due
to the greater probability of rot, but more especially insects. Bricks are
never very tasty, but slightly rotten wood seems to be a delightful buffet
for many insects. Also, in tropical countries a more massive construction
helps with heat attenuation. Most of N.America needs a higher insulation
value more than heat attenuation.

Henning