Subject: [Leica] Salgado photos
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:07:50 -0500

"
"For the Genesis project Sebasti?o Salgado used medium format cameras but
since 2008 he has been using Canon?s EOS-1Ds Mark III, adapted so he sees a
645 frame. He says he is astonished by the quality of the image files he is
able to produce and that ?going digital? has not led to him taking more
pictures. ?I don?t look at the back of the camera after I take a picture. I
only look [at the end of a day?s shoot] very quickly to see if there is a
problem.?

After each trip he returned to his Paris office with around 10,000
pictures. He edits all of the images himself, but not on screen. In fact,
he never uses a computer. He has contact sheets produced and edits with a
loupe. He then produces his own small prints and edits again. The best
images from each trip, around 100, are chosen and a physical negative is
created by the Dupon photo lab in Paris. They are then printed on 30x40cm
silver paper and checked again, with a further negative being produced if
necessary. ?The negatives are so perfect that we can create a digital
negative from the physical one and start the whole process again,? he
reveals."

No Photoshop.

Tina