Subject: [Leica] Shoot B&W film again?
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 22:34:08 -0800

I am getting this urge to shoot some black and white film again.  I have
no idea if this is simply misplaced nostalgia or if I'm on to
something.  But the thought is in my mind.  For two reasons:
1. I like the look of B&W film.
2. I would like to use my 50mm Leica-mount lenses as fifties again. On
my 1.33x crop M8 they are mild-telephoto-ish, and 100mm equivalent on my
E-M5. Shooting my old M6 would give me a way to use them as fifties
without having to spend massive bucks for another digital Leica.

I'm talking real B&W film here, not chromagenic. I'm inclined towards
Tri-X, as this is what I shot before. I'm also mindful of Dante Stella's
comment that Tri-X is the second-best film for all puposes.  I'd be
using it as an all-purpose film, indoors available light at EI 400 or
800, or (probably) with a green filter outdoors on sunny days, unlikely
as that may seem in Seattle).

Related question:  I have some darkroom chemical powders and
concentrates in their original sealed containers or envelopes. I bought
them in Oct. 2001. I don't see any expiration dates on the packaging.
Are they still good?
- Kodak D-76 power to make one quart
- Kodak Xtol powders to make five liters.
- Kodak Rapid Fixer concentrate to make one gallon.
- Orbit Bath concentrate (hypo clearing agent)
- Photo-Flo Concentrate

--Peter

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Shoot B&W film again?)
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Shoot B&W film again?)