Subject: [Leica] The Real Cost of Leicas
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:12:25 -0600

On Jan 11, 2014, at 9:36 AM, Doug Herr wrote:

> The operating cost of a digital camera and its basic processing is
> negligible no matter how much or how little it's used.  It output is
> qualitatively not the same as the film camera's output.

These discussions really do have too many different levels  of debatability.

I do delight in the fact that film and processing costs have evaporated with
digital.
And lament that digital cameras depreciate;
while also delighting that M9s are available for $3300.
And lament that I can still not afford a digital back for my Hasselblad

Yet the cost of computers, software and storage do also need mention and
consideration.
In the past 6 months I've spent nearly $700 in computer
repair/maintenance/upgrade;
My desktop unit awaits similar work; for lack of funds.
Another few hundred went to replace failing external hard drives.
And I'm running a couple versions behind in Lightroom, Photoshop and OS.
So what does that mean in film and processing - 70 - 90 rolls (depending on
who's processing)
a few hundred sheets of 4x5, a hundred sheets of 8x10 - I'm guessing - it's
been too long.

Yet in contrast - my enlargers never required constant upgrading expenses.
They perform today in exactly the same way they performed 30 years ago.

Bottom line - photography has always been an expensive pursuit;
whether as a profession or as a hobby.

or not - as you see fit.
One can still make a pinhole camera
and expose various self made light sensitive emulsions.

or
simply make a camera obscura and trace the scene

george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog
http://www.linkedin.com/in/imagist