Subject: [Leica] The Real Cost of Leicas
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:15:25 -0600

On Jan 10, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Bob Adler wrote:

> Just curious if any of the finance wizards in the LUG can calculate the
> real cost of a Leica camera and lenses (say best in class and excluding
> the Noctilux) on today's dollars vs 15 or 20 years ago.
>
> My gut tells me Leicas have always been exorbitantly expensive. Current
> LUG members are aging boomers who must be, of necessity, more conservative
> with their spending.
>
> Frank? Jayanand? Others? Anyone have MSRP over the years and annual real
> inflation numbers?

Not sure what the point of this periodic
"Leica gear cost a lot of money"
How much then?
How much now?
It's all available used
at a fraction of the release cost.

Compare to best of any brand.
Compare to Alpa, Linhof, Nikon Apo, Phase One, Leaf, Schneider, Rodenstock,
Photography has always cost a lot of money, Always.
Computers cost a lot of money.
I have 25 thousand dollars worth of enlargers - anybody want them?
I spent 12 thousand dollars on scanners over the years;
still have two of them - anybody want them - anybody running SCSI?

Get over it.
Enjoy what ever camera and/or lens you have in your hands.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com