Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Ruby, Color and B&W
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:05:24 -0600

On Dec 3, 2013, at 5:29 PM, Tina Manley wrote:

> Only one comment on the B&W Ruby so I'm posting the color one, too.   Two
> cameras, two lenses, two films:
>
> B&W:  http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/153623647
>
> Color:  http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/153633093
>
> Both M6's, one 35 Summilux with TMax 400, one Noctilux with Fuji Provia
> 400.
>
> Comments and criticisms are gratefully accepted.

I sometimes find it difficult to "comment" on powerfully disturbing
photographs.
This image in particular reminded me of the work I did for "Light on Poverty
in Appalachia."

<http://imagist.com/photo/images/family_01.jpg>
<http://imagist.com/photo/images/family_01_02.jpg>

I was also able to gain access to the "private" rooms of fellow human beings
existing at the unhealthy, absolute bottom of our socio/economic system;
abandoned by the coal mining industry when veins ran thin and strip mining
replaced the miners.

40 years after doing that work I still tear up thinking about those people's
conditions.

Interesting that our POTUS is talking, this week, about income inequality as
the most important issue of time

In terms of your color vs B&W versions of this photograph
I find the color version garish and quite unnatural;
so I prefer the black and white

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com