Subject: [Leica] IMG weird Civil War Rifle
From: neal at photoneal.com (Neal Friedenthal)
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 00:51:34 -0500

In my continuing project to catalog the arms in my collection I recently
took this of what is probably the oddest of all Civil War rifles, the
Green Rifle.  It is a bolt action breech loading percussion rifle. I
fires a combustible paper cartridge which is ignited by a percussion cap
which is placed on a nipple on the bottom of the barrel, subsequently
the hammer is also under the barrel. The bore is oval shaped and appears
smooth but is indeed rifled. A true oddity only 900 were purchased by
the US government.
http://www.photoneal.com/picture.php?/89/category/3

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] IMG weird Civil War Rifle)