Subject: [Leica] Some Sony A7R sample with M lenses
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:08:06 -0600

On Nov 20, 2013, at 5:19 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> George we both know that over the decades many of the really finest wides
> give you noticeable vignetting  wide open there was a burgeoning market for
> center filters costing 2 or 3 hundred bucks which everybody bought without
> even thinking and many were sold with the filters included.
> The fact is light has to travel way longer to reach the corners of the
> image
> than in the center. Even true with retrofocal wides but classic for
> symmetrical designs.
>
> And then there's shooting a landscape wide open with an ultra wide that's
> an
> eyebrow raiser right there. Landscape photography is not street photography
> with the light poles being trees.
> Stopping down is a first thought as is using a tripod.
>
> That fact that all vignetting goes away when you stop down a few is very
> heartening for this guy.
> Personally I like vignetting-  I would buy an edge darkening filter if they
> made one.

If you download the full files
and examine them
you'll see that it's not simply a light fall-off, dark corner vignette issue.

The corners are grossly out of focus and smeared.
And we're looking at and talking about a 35 mm lens
not a 28, 24, 21, 18, 16 or 12 here.

So far the optical results of Leica 50 mm and wider
are simply coming in as unacceptable
(when compared to the same lenses used on an M9, MM or M)

To buy premium f:1.4 lenses
and not be able to use them until f5.6 and 8
and see diffraction at f: 8
does not make the A7r desirable for use with Leica glass.

It may work extremely well with the Zeiss glass
and some of the longer Leica glass

though that's not my only interest
as most of my M shooting is with 28 cron asph and 50 lux asph

So this is a simple fact.

YMMV OF COURSE

Regards,
George Lottermoser