Subject: [Leica] hanging prints
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 02:31:00 +0000

I think how you hang things really depends on the space...  and how many
prints you are trying to put in that space.  I suggest drawing it out... or
doing a scale mockup in photoshop...

I always display prints symmetrically...   so I find that if I space
everything right,  that is to say the nails are all the same distance apart
and the same height.  I can use the same nails to hang both vertical and
horizontal images...   That really works best for a single row of images....
and  I am assuming that you have the ability to adjust the frame hanging
wire on vertical images lower so that the frame is centered with Horizontal
images.  IE  the wire on a horiz 16x20 frame is 2 1/2 inches from the top...
 on a vertical 16x20 frame is 4 1/2 inches from the top.

If you are doing two rows of images...  it is a bit more difficult to use
the same nails...  but I think is those cases you really want to do all
horiz or all vert anyhow..  or mix different size frames to make it look
nice... Once you do that, it is pretty hard to change orientation of
individual frames...

But if you use the same size frames, and are just changing orientation, you
should be able to hide the other set of nails behind the pictures.

 I'm not all that sold on using museum hanging systems in my house, they are
expensive...   Unless you have wallpaper, paneling, or glass/metal/stone
walls you can't easy put nails/hangers or you can't repair..    Nail holes
in drywall is easy to patch and touchup... (use long thin aluminum nails)
And I would rather spend money on something else...  like Leica gear or
getting out to take pictures... : )     I found I have had more problem with
frames hung for a longer period of time leaving dust marks and lines on the
paint  which needs to be repainted than previous nail holes.

Besides, If your pictures are of any quality... people won't be looking at
the walls..   : )

Duane