Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:41:41 -0600

On Nov 19, 2013, at 12:08 AM, Steve Barbour wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2013, at 9:39 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why do we want to have contests? Can't we all just agree that all these
>> lenses are  state of the art and exceptional, and difference, if at all,
>> will be marginal and inconsequential in real world shooting? All I wanted
>> to highlight when I posted the original mail that there is one more
>> excellent lens available!
>

> why indeed ?...especially since , in principle, one could take the world's
> greatest picture with a coke bottle...
>
> is this the world's greatest lens,  a compensation for lack of access,
> lack of luck, a lack of expertise, knowledge, reflexes....so having
>
> the lens will make up for the absence of other things, any of them or
> all...?
>
> if you have the money, you can be a great photographer, your lens can
> conquer all....

or
we can accept that
few on this list imagine that
a "great picture" depends on great lenses, cameras, tripods, whatever.

While at the same time
most on this list understand the value of great gear
and precisely what great gear brings to great pictures.

Which is why we gather here to appreciate
great photographs
and
great gear.

Regards,