Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 04:28:13 -0800

There is another reason why "The Best Glass" makes no difference...

Can you get the important part of the image into focus?  Without that
requirement, it makes no difference what glass you use...

If you want to see really good sharp images, look at Jayanand's recent shots
with his D4 and 70-200 lens at F4.  Razor sharp eyes.  You can see the iris
distinctly.  Not one out of his take, but all he showed are really that
sharp.  How?  Using AF and training himself to use the AF technology with
success.

Using an M-anything with Leica glass, we all try, but how many shots do we
get that are that sharp?

The M RF has reached its pinnacle of accuracy.  The sensor ( now electronic)
demands more than mechanical performance can deliver, when guided by the
naked eye.

Glass is no longer the issue.  It is the eye that is ( and I believe always
was) the weak link.  AF is the solution....  or MF + enlarged EVF.

Think I am wrong?  Go out there and look for images that are truly sharp....
MF or AF?....

Now if you are a Pro, maybe your degree of training and experience with the
M is so great that you can do it... but us mere mortals need help.....

My M lenses will never ( never say never) be AF.  My M9 body is purely MF,
guided by my eyes.  I get some good focused shots.  But with some assistance
and training, I could get a higher hit rate.

See the S2 for an example of what CAN be done..... with AF.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Replies: Reply from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Zeiss Otus 55mm f1.4)