Subject: [Leica] How late on Machu Picchu
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 01:48:14 +0000

I just looked a little bit online and they say the site is open till 5:30,
but last entry is at  4pm...  Last mini-bus going down is also at 5:30...
Many of the groups leave earlier to catch the tourist train back...

When I was there, I do not remember being asked to leave the site...   I was
told that people staying at the hotel near the site could stay longer...
But that may have changed....  May depend on the Ranger and whether he likes
you or not....    There is a trail that comes into the site from above....
which I don't think they ever close...

That said...  I also remember that it got dark earlier than expected on the
site because of the Sun going down behind the taller surrounding
mountains.... and it slopes away from the setting sun....   also realize
that it's close enough to the equator that the days are never all that
long... or short....

Hope that helps,

Duane

I know that there is an opening time ( 6AM or something) and a closing time
( 4PM or so)......

Were you able to spend time there outside of the regular hours?

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

I also loved being up at Machu Picchu after the tours and tourist left....
it is a beautiful spot....

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] How late on Machu Picchu)