Subject: [Leica] Sony a7 and a7R
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:30:38 -0700

>From the article....

Using Leica M and Nikon Lenses

For some photographers (myself included) putting Leica M mount lenses on the
Sony A7R may be reason enough to break out a bottle of Veuve Cliquot
champagne and celebrate. Using an M to E adapter (I have a Metabones),
virtually every Leica M lenses that I own works well on the A7R. Some of the
ultra-wide and very wides do vignette, so be aware of this. There is no
software correction for this, because we're mixing and matching. With other
systems where the lens and camera are from the same company there's a lot of
magic that can be done in firmware.

I had neither the time nor the full selection of lenses to test in detail
what works and what doesn't, but I think it fair to say that most retrofocus
design Leica M lenses will work on the A7R. When you consider that this
camera has a high resolution EVF, focus peaking, intelligent Auto-ISO - so
manual aperture lenses can be used in a semi-automated manner, and of course
a 36 Megapixel sensor, this is hot stuff indeed.

In my opinion, anyone who owns a set of (or even a few) high quality M
series Leica optics should seriously look at the Sony A7R. They make for a
killer combination, and the Sony costs less then a third of an M240 camera.
Just test that the lenses that you plan on using work as you expect before
taking the plunge.
Overall, I can not recommend the A7R highly enough for anyone looking to
find a new body for their Leica lenses, and who find the price of an M240 a
bridge too far, as I did last year. And for those of you with M8, M9 or M240
bodies, the A7R makes a relatively inexpensive second body as well.

Not a technical review, but certainly a good starting place.....

He notes vignetting issues.... can that not be taken out in LR with (if
needed, user derived)  lens corrections?

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net