Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Hog "heaven"
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:24:42 -0500 (CDT)

On 9/9/2013 7:54 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:
> That is a lot of fans for a bike that cannot corner at any speed...(-:
> Harley have done brilliant cult and niche marketing over the last
> 15-20 years - they even sell here, though who can drive these heavy
> monsters on our roads at our average speeds is beyond me! (-:
> Cheers
> Jayanand
====================================================================================================================================================
I guess some people will put up with a lot for image.   I have ridden a
couple of Harleys at motorcycle events when various dealers allowed test
rides (with valid rider licenses).  After half a mile my back was hurting
from the leaned-back seat and my wrists were tingling from the hand grip
vibration.  I like to ride leaning slightly forward for control and felt
unsafe, as it is harder to use peripheral vision to detect vehicles near you
while reclining (read L.J.K. Setright on this topic).  I also don't like
having to lift my foot to use the rear brake; I think all the controls
should be immediately available.  Another ergonomic problem concerned my
knees.  My left one was in contact with the ignition key and my right with
the air cleaner cover, both vibrating.  No wonder Harley guys ride with
their knees spread.

At the same event I took a BMW four out and felt comfortable right away.
When I rode back to get off (not that I wanted to), I had no trouble weaving
through the crowd at less than walking speed without putting a foot down.
Smooooth.

And for a chuckle - I rode my Honda CB400T to the 85th Harley party in 1988
and parked in the middle of all the Hogs.  I have pictures!

Alan

(Retired)
UPAA POY 1978
amr3 at uwm.edu