Subject: [Leica] Senoritas
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 19:39:47 +0530

Jim, Philippe,
Thanks for looking. The people of Ladakh are Buddhists, and are
closely related to Tibetans. Tibet shares a border with India through
most of Ladakh's northern and eastern reaches. The Nubra valley in
Ladakh was also part of the part of the ancient "Silk Route",
connecting what is today parts of Pakistan with Tibet, and onwards to
China. So this area was very much part of the first phase of
globalization in the economic history of the world. (-:

Ladakh is part of Jammu and Kashmir state - yes that Kashmir! The
state is divided into three parts - a Hindu south on the plains called
Jammu, the Muslim Kashmir valley in the middle and the high altitude
Buddhist north which is Ladakh. The south and north are largely
peaceful, but the Kashmir valley is where all the troubles are - it
shares a long border with Pakistan.

Conversely, Pakistan's water supply is largely in India's hands
because its main river, the Indus flows through India before it
crosses over into Pakistan. The five main tributaries of the Indus,
the Chenab, Jhelum, Ravi, Beas and Sutlej also have their sources in
the Indian portion of the Himalayas, and flow a fair distance within
Indian territory.

Cheers
Jayanand