Subject: [Leica] Senoritas
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:10:25 +0530

Gerry, Douglas
Thanks for looking. India is as diverse a country as you can ever
imagine - it is the total opposite of, say, USA which is as homogenous
as you can get. For example we have 22 official languages written into
our constitution. The inhabitants of Ladakh have more in common with
Tibetans than with the denizens of mainland India, and this is true
for all the borders we share with other countries where you would be
hard pressed to notice any difference in the inhabitants living on
either side of the border (Punjab & Sind in India/Pakistan; Bengal &
Bangladesh, North East India & Bhutan, Burma & China; Tamilnadu/Kerala
& Sri Lanka as well). Due to the propensity of the human race to draw
country borders based on geography rather than sociology, this is
common all over the world. The positive is you get a very diverse
society, like in India. The negative is you divide tribes, sometimes
with disastrous consequences like in most of Africa.
Cheers
Jayanand